Monday, October 8, 2012

Giants Suffer Another Blow to Secondary


Giants Suffer another Blow in Secondary

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Will+Hill+Cleveland+Browns+v+New+York+Giants+pymMKmE6chdl.jpg
The New York Giants announced today that safety/corner back Will Hill has been suspended four games by the NFL for taking Adderall and violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Hill is the second Giants safety to be suspended for taking the banned substance, as Tyler Sash was suspended for the first four games and missed the first five because of the same substance abuse penalty.  Sash will actually be taking the roster spot for Hill this week.

Hill’s suspension will be effective immediately and he will not be eligible for a return until November 5th.

Hill said, “I received a doctor’s prescription for Adderall prior to signing with the Giants.  Shortly after signing with the team, I was in a meeting with) director of player development) Charles Way, who reviewed the list of the league’s banned substances.  I knew at that point that this may be an issue.” 

He added, “I was tested and the results came back that Adderall was in my system.  I appealed but lost the appeal.  I accept full responsibility for this situation and it won’t happen again.”

Sash also appealed his suspension when he found out of it, saying he received it to help combat his fear and anxiety of public speaking, but lost the appeal.

A third Giant, Andre Brown, was suspended for Adderall but he won his appeal and the suspension was overturned.  Brown admitted to taking the drug and that the suspension came from misunderstandings that arose over the paperwork.  Adderall is a drug that is commonly given to people who suffer from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. 

Hill has had terrible character issues in the past, going undrafted out of Florida in 2010 as teams flagged him as a potential problem.  But the Giants gave him a chance anyway and he took it and ran during rookie mini-camp this past May.  Hill has played in all five games thus far this season and has seen his role grow as the season as went on because of a rash of injuries to the Giants secondary, even forcing a fumble on a kick return this past weekend against the Browns. 

“The Giants have given me a great opportunity when nobody else would, and I don’t take that for granted,” said Hill.  “I feel badly this has happened.  I will work hard and stay in great shape these next four weeks so I can come back and contribute to this team after my suspension.”

No comments:

Post a Comment